17 December 2008

Cranberry Orange Muffins

I baked a batch of muffins today that taste like the essence of Christmas. Take your favorite berry muffin recipe and substitute dried cranberries and orange zest (ratio of 2:1). Include a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg and make sure you toss your cranberries and zested orange peel in a little sugar, and let sit for about ten minutes before stirring into your batter. I topped mine with streusel. When zesting your orange(s) make sure you only get the outer peel and not the white pith as the pith will add bitterness to your muffins. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These sound fantastic! I can only imagine that the cranberries gave the muffins a nice Christmas-y color!

Happy New Year!

Melanie said...

I hope you tried them juju! Currants and blueberries with a little lime or lemon zest would be good, too!